22 September 2009

Diagnostic Essay: Labor of Love


I used to be someone who held several different jobs each year. This all changed once I became a barista. Never before had I experienced the joy that can come from truly loving what you do. With Starbucks, I went from being just another employee to being a partner. As such, I know that I have a voice that will be heard. Finally, I have found a line of work that keeps me coming back.


There are many reasons I love my occupation, but I am just going to share my top three. Every single day that I come to work, I have so much fun! In fact, most days it does not feel like work at all. My fellow partners, managers, and customers alike make me smile and laugh on a daily basis. Not everyone is this fortunate so I do consider myself quite lucky. The excitement and camaraderie of being a barista literally gets me out of bed (at four) in the morning.


My Starbucks is like a big diverse family. I know a lot of people make this claim, but at this particular store it is a way of life. We all know, respect, and value one another, and get along really well. There is no “I” in Starbucks, so teamwork is essential. This not only creates a smooth and comfortable working environment, but it helps us to function together like a well-oiled machine.


As a whole, Starbucks prides itself on being a passionate purveyor of the finest coffees in the world. My store manager, Jessie, is a prime example of that passion. It is my belief that having a supervisor who genuinely cares makes the difference between a job to love, and a job to loathe. Jessie’s passion and enthusiasm is contagious and it shines through in all she does. For this reason, her partners want to work hard to not just get the job done, but to do it to legendary standards.


Starbucks Coffee Company operates under the belief that if you take care of your partners, they’ll take care of you. It is this belief that is the foundation behind so many benefits and incentives. For these reasons, and so many more, this has been my very favorite job so far.
Image source here

1 comment:

  1. Of course there's no "i" in Starbucks. Then it would be Starbuicks and they'd probably be selling cars.

    I hear Starbucks does treat its employees well, offering health benefits to even part-timers. Now I wonder if this is true given your situation, or if it still costs too much from them.

    I hope you didn't get laid off with the economic crisis brought on by our former friend.

    ReplyDelete