29 November 2009

Final Diagnostic Essay Draft: Thanks a Latte




I used to be someone who held several different jobs each year. This changed once I became a barista because I had never experienced the joy that comes with truly loving what you do. With Starbucks, I have found a job that literally keeps me coming back each day and not just because of the caffeine addiction I've consequently improved upon. I also used to consider myself a night person, but opening Monday through Friday for two years has changed that. Getting up at four in the morning, when normal people are approaching their third or so R.E.M. cycle, can only be described as a labor of love. Starbucks has taught me many valuable lessons, concerning both career and personal development.

With this particular line of work, each person contributes an equally important part while working together to provide consistently legendary service. There is no “I” in Starbucks. Previously, I had been accustomed to working alone so working with a team took some adjustment. One of the many lessons learned is accepting help is not a sign of weakness. Usually when someone jumps in to help me, I immediately feel threatened, like they are implying I am not capable of doing it on my own. I had to learn not to take it as a personal insult when co-workers assist me, and remind myself that they are only trying to help. It is a lesson in humility I am still learning.

Working with such a diverse group of people every day can have it's trying moments. We all have different backgrounds, religious and political beliefs, principles, and personality traits that make each partner unique. Differences like these can make or break a team; I think in my store, it makes us. Just because two people may be radically different does not mean an excellent working relationship cannot be had between them. Jason, for example, is a fundamentalist, Bible-believing Baptist Christian bordering on evangelical, who also happens to be one of the best baristas I know. He makes every drink to perfection, takes no short-cuts, and in this area, I strive to be just like him. However, to say that he and I are different is quite an understatement. In spite of this, we continue to have a symbiotic work relationship. The reason being based on a mutually genuine respect and appreciation for one another, and our abilities as a barista.

My Starbucks prides itself on the open lines of communication on all levels. Each of us knows that we can talk openly to not just one another, but shift and store managers as well. Squashing little misunderstanding and disputes early and quickly is what stops them from becoming disastrous later on. As an example, one day I was working the espresso bar with Finney when she accidentally made two frappuccinos wrong. When I asked what had happened since I was remaking them, she barked, “Nothing.” I said, “No really, Finney, what's wrong?” I could tell by the way she was slamming pitchers around she was obviously upset. This time she actually yelled, “Nothing!” I immediately felt heat in my cheeks and shut up. I stayed silently fuming for a little too long I supposed because other partners were beginning to notice there was something amiss. Finney was sent on her break since she clearly needed some perspective. I went into the back to grab something where she was briefly when she asked if I wanted to talk. Once upon a time, I would have just said no, and continued silently fuming about it inside, but that is not what we do at this store. It solves nothing, only making things worse. “Actually, yes, I would” I replied. “I don't really understand why you yelled at me when I did nothing wrong.” Finney explained that she was just mad at herself for making such silly mistakes, she didn't mean to take it out on me. That was all it took for us to make up and even laugh about it within minutes. At my store, we believe in communication. This means we talk to each other, and get things out. Holding pent up tension with co-workers will only make the environment more miserable for both parties involved, and lower morale. So to combat this, we talk things out immediately whenever there is any type of misunderstanding or dispute (the latter rarely happens). Had Finney and I not squashed that as quickly as we did, it would have poisoned our relationship by allowing tension to fester between us. It is a simple philosophy, but you would be amazed at how many people don't follow it. We don't talk badly about one another and view doing so like a cancer, injecting negativity into every aspect of the working relationship. This concept has followed me into all of my relationships, making each one better because of it.

Even if given the opportunity, I do not think I could pick a better group of people to work with, or feel more included in my workplace. I am constantly learning, improving both myself and my principles in the process, all while working the best job I have ever had. The respect and compassion I have witnessed while being employed with Starbucks will follow me wherever I go in life, and for that, thanks a latte.

image source: here

1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered if the customers were actually nice since it seems like they'd be pretentious.

    ReplyDelete